Later History of the Monastery
/ About / History of the Monastery / Later History of the Monastery
Later History of the Monastery
Fr. Alexis Toth, who has been called the Father of the Russian Orthodox Church in America because of his great success in leading Uniates back to the Orthodox fold, was laid to rest in the monastery cemetery after his repose in 1909. Seven years later, his remains were transferred to a specially constructed tomb just back of the sanctuary of the Monastery Church.

In 1938 St. Tikhon's Seminary was established on the monastery grounds, through the efforts of Archbishop Arseny, the monastery's cofounder, who returned to St. Tikhon's in the 1930s. Since the founding of the seminary, the two institutions have mutually aided, enhanced, and nurtured each other.

A chapel, erected in 1941 in the center of the older section of the cemetery, was dedicated to the memory of Metropolitan Platon, primate of the Orthodox Church in America for part of the early 20th century. A new chapel replaced the old one 1999.

In the 1950s a renowned Orthodox speaker, writer, leader, Saint Nicholai of Zicha, came to live at our monastery and also served as rector of the seminary from 1955-56. He reposed here in 1956. The news, in 1987, of St. Nicholai's glorification brought joy to our monastery. 1990 saw the glorification of the monastery's cofounder, Saint Patriarch Tikhon, by the Russian Orthodox Church, and in 1992 his well-hidden grave was miraculously discovered in Russia. In 1994, St. Alexander Hotovitsky, who was present as an inspired witness at the monastery's opening and on several later occasions, was glorified by the Russian Orthodox Church as a hieromartyr (priestmartyr). Also in 1994, the service of glorification (canonization) of St. Alexis Toth took place at the Memorial Day pilgrimage. His relics now rest in the monastery Church.

In 2000, St. Raphael, who dedicated these grounds and served the first Divine Liturgy here in 1905, was glorified at St. Tikhon's Monastery by the Orthodox Church in America acting on the request of the Orthodox Church of Antioch.

Many buildings have been razed and many have been built during the past century. In the late 1940s a brick facing was added around the original clapboard of the monastery building. In 1965 a major renovation took place under the direction of then Hieromonk Joseph Swaiko (the future Metropolitan HERMAN, primate of our Church). In that renovation the monastery dormitory and dining hall were built and the main monastery church was expanded. Many further improvements have been made in the years since. In 1988, to commemorate the Baptism of Rus', a Millennium Bell Tower was built along with many other shrines, and a new monastery refectory was built. St. Arsenius Skete has been constructed in the nearby woods, with accomodations for several monks.

A new monastery bell tower was built in 1994-95, replacing the original bell tower. Within the same building is housed the John S. and Lucille J. Guzey Collection of Russian Icons and Antiquities, opened in 1995. The monastery church's exterior was adorned in 1997 by the addition of new cupolas and other improvements. The same year saw a new mausoleum blessed, which had been erected at the eastern end of the monastery cemetary. The Metropolitan Theodosius Museum will be inaugurated at the centennial celebration in 2005.

Over the first century of our existence, changes have taken place in the population of our community and in outward features of our life. However, the inner life which is the heart of monasticism continues as before. The unchanging life and rhythm of an Orthodox monastery is centered around the unchanging cycles and seasons of worship, and the fixed nature of monastic community life, with its traditions, rules, and practices. The ideals expressed by St. Tikhon and St. Raphael at the birth of St. Tikhon's Monastery have guided the life of the monastery ever since that beginning, and illumining, like beacons, the path of the monastics who have life at St. Tikhon's throughout the first century of the monastery's existence. Even today, St. Tikhon's Monastery continues to walk by those ideals, in prayer life, in charitable works, in educational work, and in spiritual guidance and as a place of pilgrimage.

To visit St. Tikhon's is to listen to one's heart and the voice of Christ speaking within it. Join us and with thousands of pilgrims as we offer thanks to Almighty God for the salvation we find in Christ, and for the gift of St. Tikhon's Monastery and the mercy of God imparted to this holy place over for the past hundred years.

Monastery of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk
175 St. Tikhon's Road
Waymart, PA 18472
570-937-4067 (Phone)
  • Thu

    6:00 Midnight Office, Hours, & Liturgy
    4:30 Vespers & Matins
  • Fri

    6:00 Midnight Office, Hours, & Liturgy
    4:30 Vespers & Matins
  • Sat

    7:40 Hours & Divine Liturgy
    4:00 Vigil
  • March News & Events
    Lent Begins March 18
  • St Tikhon's Monastery Music Program
    Weekend and residency opportunities are available
  • New Icon School continues first pilot year with seven students
    St. Tikhons School of Iconography is continuing its pilot year with Anton and Ekaterina Daineko as the primary instructors. The new icon school studio building God willing will have its grand opening





© 2021 Saint Tikhon's Monastery