Lent and Prayers for the Departed
Abbot Sergius of St. Tikhon's answers questions about the prayers offered at the monastery.
With the approach of Lent, thoughts often turn to those who have fallen asleep with Saturday, March 1, beginning the first of four Memorial or ‘Saturday of Souls’ with special commemorations for the departed. Abbot Sergius answers questions about the prayers available from St. Tikhon’s Monastery.
1. St. Tikhon’s offers moleben and pannikhida services via the website or personal contact with the monastery. Can these be done in addition to any prayers requested at the local parish level?
Yes, the monastery prayers are continuous and they are powerful, being offered on these grounds for more than a century by monks who dedicate their lives to God.
2. What intentions are most often requested in moleben services?
Women most frequently seeking to have a child come to the Monastery and ask for Molebens to St. Anna or to the icon She Who is Quick to Hear, both of which are noted for the miracles which are attributed to them
3. Pannikhidas are often offered at certain specific times (i.e. 9th day after falling asleep, 40th day, etc.). May these be scheduled all at once on one request form?
Pannikhidas should be requested within a week or two of the intention
4. Many needs such as illness, conversion, etc. are ‘long term’. Should the request for commemoration be made to the monastery weekly or may a longer period be specified?
A commemoration or intention can be requested for up to one year.
5. Are they any special services or Liturgy commemorations automatically offered to donors to the monastery?
Yes, every millennial member who pledges $1000 each year will be commemorated daily at Liturgy with their spouse for one year.
6. Are there any prayers or services associated with Lent for the departed?
There are four Memorial Saturdays during Lent during which all the departed from the beginning until now are commemorated. It is especially important for us to remember our departed loved ones during the Memorial Saturdays of Lent as well as in October on Demetrius Saturday.
7. If no time frame/specific date is requested how many times is the name commemorated at Liturgy?
Daily for one month.
8. How long is the maximum time a commemoration will be repeated before another request should be made?
Different requests can be made at any time, the same request can be made after a month.
9. Can ‘too many’ requests for a commemoration be made?
Not necessarily but one should be courteous and considerate with the monastics time.
Request a Prayer or Commemoration at the Monastery...
Abbot Sergius also recommends this article on the soul after death...
Feast of All Saints06/18/22This day is also established to encourage us to follow the way of the saints...
360° Virtual Tour Updated06/11/22The Monatery of St. Tikhon of Zadonsk is pleased to release a newly updated 360° Virtual Tour produced by Orthodox360.com.
Updates from Archimandrite Sergius06/08/22The annual Pentecost letter and Summer newsletter are here!