Weekend and longer term options available
Need more training as an Orthodox church musician? Wish there was a year-long residential program to master your musicianship skills and immerse yourself in a full liturgical context? Are you a life-long learner who is constantly seeking opportunities to expand your knowledge of liturgical music in the Orthodox tradition?
At the STM Music Program, we offer a Residency Program and Weekend Intensives
to meet your personal needs.
Offered Tracks & Features:
- Residency Program
- Cooperative Education: Gain leadership and field experience by participating as a section leader and assistant director in the multiple choirs at St. Tikhon’s, as well as working on music-related projects.
- Coaching Sessions: Fine-tune your skills in conducting, singing, teaching, and liturgics through one-on-one and group sessions with music faculty.
- Weekend Intensives: Attend monthly weekend intensives on a variety of topics relating to Orthodox liturgical music and musicianship skills to deepen your knowledge in these areas. (More information below.)
- Duration & Location: Nine month residency at St. Tikhon’s Monastery
- Weekend Intensives
- Topics: Workshops and lectures on conducting, vocal technique, order of services, church music history, choral literature, eight tones, Finale, etc.
- Faculty: Resident and guest experts and educators in relevant topics
- Duration & Location: Once a month Friday evening through Sunday afternoon; held at the newly constructed St. Tikhon’s Music Center
- Attendance open to local, visiting, and online non-resident students!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be put on our mailing list.
Support us at sttikhonsmonastery.org/support. Sponsor a student.
Official News Release...
July 1, 2021 [South Canaan, PA] — Saint Tikhon’s Monastery is pleased to announce the fall 2021 launch of a new residential Music Program. The Saint Tikhon’s Residency in Music provides comprehensive training for Orthdox church music leaders amidst the rich and demanding liturgical life of America’s oldest Orthodox monastery. Residents receive both classroom training and on-the-job experience under the expert guidance of the members of St. Tikhon’s Monastery music staff as well as nationally renown guest faculty.
The Music Program is a combination of monthly topical weekend workshop intensives and residency training. The weekend intensives are open to the public, starting Friday evenings and ending Sunday afternoons. Non-resident participants may choose to attend one, several, or all of the weekend intensives. Techniques and skills are presented and briefly coached in the weekend intensives. Residents are then given the opportunity to implement the techniques and skills presented in the intensives as leaders-in-training of services and ensembles at St. Tikhon’s Monastery.
Weekend Intensive topics include: Conducting Technique, Music Theory & Score Analysis, Vocal & Ensemble Technique, How to Train Beginner Musicians, Choral Literature & Church Music History, Composing & Arranging, Ensemble Administration, and the Memorial Day Pilgrimage Festival Choir.
Residency training includes: the 8 Tones, Order of Service, Ear Training, Keyboard Skills, Spirituality, Finale! software, Composition class, Vocal Performance class, Conducting class, Service & Rehearsal Prep coaching, Sacred Music Seminar, and Spirituality.
Residents will also have the opportunity to contribute to the many exciting musical projects happening at St. Tikhon’s including the Grammy-nominated Saint Tikhon Choir, the St. Tikhon’s Music Resource online music catalogue, the arrangement of new settings of hymnography, and the publication of new music collections.
The program begins in October 2021 with the first weekend intensive. Entrance exam, auditions, and admissions interviews will occur during weekend intensives. To be put on the mailing list and be kept up to date on program news and registration information email the directors at email@example.com.
Feastday of St Alexis Toth05/07/22A life in pictures
May News ~ Events ~ Pilgrimage04/30/22The Memorial Day Pilgrimage returns for 2022
Christ is Risen!04/23/22Truly He is Risen!